Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chicago, that toddlin' town

Do you know that Sinatra song? It's a great one! Well we took on Chicago last weekend to pay homage to our previous stomping ground and as one last family hurrah before the baby comes. Oh and Brian played a concert with the S. L. orchestra downtown. Elliott and I flew in earlier so we could hang with some great friends and go to our old ward in Hyde Park. It really brought back a lot of great memories to go to church there, my first ward as a newly married person. It's just such a special place. On Monday we visited Roosevelt U., our alma mater, to sit in on some private lessons our old horn teacher was giving. For us it's the musical equivalent of general conference. =) We ate at the Bongo Room, the best breakfast place of all time and at Portillo's, our favorite Chicago hot dog place. Brian ate Baos, a steamed Chinese bun, at Wow Bao's-he really loves them! And I drank a Large Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate all by myself. It's the best. I bought expensive, wonderful shampoo at the C.O. Bigelow store in the water tower plaza. We got a steal of deal on a hotel with this view:



That was the great part of our trip. The problem was, Elliott was sick with a cold/getting over his cold and the terrible twos hit while we were there. It was so emotionally draining. We didn't know Elliott could act that bad. If I would have known he was going to be that bad, we wouldn't have gone. And that's saying something cause I would pretty much never give up something like that. I mean screaming tantrums, inconsolable, unbribe-able, prostrating himself on the floor of packed elevators with onlookers thinking they're having another one and they can't control this one?!, screaming until he coughed until he threw up while we were trying to get on the subway, refusing to wear his hat or mittens in wind chill factors in the teens, having a meltdown because I forced him to wear pants, socks, and shoes outside, screaming to the point of exhaustion so that he finally fell asleep in the stroller walking down busy, noisy State Street, dragging his feet under the stroller making it nearly imposssible to push and tearing up his shoes in the process. I'm sure one day we'll laugh about it but man, we have never been that frustrated with him.

All his wailing took my mind off how uncomfortable I was waddling around. One of my favorite hugely pregnant moments was on a bus when a sweet older woman said to me, "You're about ready." "Well I wish, but I have 6 more weeks to go," I told her. She replied, "Nope, I don't think you do." Or there was the time my old professor saw me in the hallway and said, "You're about to EXPLODE!" Sigh. He always did have a way with words...

A happy moment at the Shedd Aquarium, playing in a canoe with Daddy!


It's nice to be home. Elliott is coming around to his old self again. And now I'm just constantly saying things to myself like, "Thanksgiving, then Brian's birthday, then before we know it, it will be Christmas and then I won't have to be pregnant anymore." 33 days, just in case you were wondering since I never put the freaky floating fetus counter on my blog. =)

4 comments:

Miss L said...

Those last 33 days will FLASH by and before you know it, your baby will be almost 4 months old! How did that happen???

I have much empathy for Elliott's meltdowns...bless his "I do not want to be in Chicago when I am 2 years old and it is freezing outside" heart. He and Miss O truly are kindred spirits--but at least he is not insisting on wearing princess dresses or tutus out in public pretty much every day. Sigh. Hang in there!!!!! :)

Adrienne said...

SO JEALOUS!
And I think we pricelined and got that same amazing hotel right off the mag mile. OH CHICAGO!! Love it! Oh and Elliott. We love him too. It's your fault for being so short and little to start with that your cute babe has nowhere else to go but out!
I had sympathy "eyes rolling back in head it's so good" raptures for the Bongo room breakfast. I can't BELIEVE you are only 33 days out!!! Augh!!! So cool!

happyfamily said...

Don't you love it when people decide they know more about your pregnant body than you do? It gets worse when you're carrying twins, and people think that you're ready to pop when you're 5 months along. You are awesome!

PS. Jealous about your Chicago visit. Sigh.

Carolyn said...

Man, I am not looking forward to the terrible twos. I keep flailing about, hoping to hit on some awesome parenting strategy that will eliminate or at least mitigate the impending tantrums.

But I hear the terrible twos are pretty much unavoidable. Shucks.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.