As I watched the news of the hundreds of protesters outside the LA Temple I found irony that this group was accusing Mormons of hating while they were hating on us. Why single out the Mormons? 52% of voters supported Prop. 8. Obviously, California is not 52% Mormon. Exit polls showed that 70% of African American voters in CA voted for Prop. 8. Why don't the protesters target African Americans? (Of course I'm not suggesting this.) See how silly this all is? Why has the media never mentioned all the ways that our lives would have been negatively impacted had prop 8 failed?
Words from an Apostle:
"Make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions. President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had 'never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional or political life.' This is hard doctrine, but it is particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. . . . Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. . . . This new irreligious imperialism seeks to disallow certain opinions simply because those opinions grow out of religious convictions. Resistance to abortion will be seen as primitive. Concern over the institution of the family will be viewed as un-trendy and unenlightened.... Before the ultimate victory of the forces of righteousness, some skirmishes will be lost. Even in these, however, let us leave a record so that the choices are clear, letting others do as they will in the face of prophetic counsel. There will also be times, happily, when a minor defeat seems probable, but others will step forward, having been rallied to rightness by what we do. We will know the joy, on occasion, of having awakened a slumbering majority of the decent people of all races and creeds which was, till then, unconscious of itself. Jesus said that when the fig trees put forth their leaves, 'summer is nigh.' Thus warned that summer is upon us, let us not then complain of the heat."
Elder Neal A. Maxwell, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
"A More Determined Discipleship", Ensign, Feb. 1979
If only everyone in the debate of Proposition 8 could act as our Church leaders have asked us:
"Such an emotionally charged issue concerning the most personal and cherished aspects of life — family, identity, intimacy and equality — stirs fervent and deep feelings.
Most likely, the election results for these constitutional amendments will not mean an end to the debate over same-sex marriage in this country.
We hope that now and in the future all parties involved in this issue will be well informed and act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different position. No one on any side of the question should be vilified, intimidated, harassed or subject to erroneous information."
(From a statement posted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
Thanks to my cousin Kristin for finding these great quotes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.

10 comments:
Aren't you impressed that the quote from Elder Maxwell is from 1979??? Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmm."
I absolutely LOVED this post, Madelyn. Wow, that quote from Elder Maxwell sent shivers down my spine! Is it alright if I quote it in my blog, too?
Miss you and love you!
I just read about this tonight, unable to sleep. Some gay activist is calling for a complete boycott of Utah. HE wants to boycott Sundance and the ski resorts to show those mormons! Why doesn't he boycott movies? I agree with you!! You said it a lot better than I could. Do you mind if I link to it from my blog?
Here is the link if you were interested.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_re_us/mormon_backlash_boycott;_ylt=An7sRs2.EkIDu7zv4Sqf.FfBF4l4
I am glad you found me, because now I found you! I wish that we all had a way with words the way Elder Maxwell does. Any of the apostles for that matter. Thanks for posting that.
Loved it, loved it, loved it. We aren't allowed to be casual anymore, are we? Great post, kid!
Bloglines had dropped you from my feeds- sorry I missed so much!
Loved your post. {heart}
I went to the Salt Lake City temple the weekend the protesters were doing their march around temple square. It was chilling to think of members of the church out there--yes, church members!--protesting the prophet's counsel as I was in the temple covenanting to sustain and speak no ill of him.
I understand that there are some very angry and hurt people left confused by this issue. What I do not understand are church members who think it is ok to verbally attack their prophet and their church (essentially their God) and still call themselves worthy to enter the house of the Lord.
Scott brought that quote home for me the day after Prop 8 passed. I guess it was rushing through the Church Office Building like wildfire. It was from a 1978 BYU Devotional and it was incredibly prophetic. I wanted to shout it on the rooftops; I wished I had heard it before the vote was cast. But it's over now and we were victorious. And Satan can gnash his teeth at us but he cannot take that victory away.
Great post Madelyn. Thought you might be interested in this:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-raddonresigns26-2008nov26,0,5947908.story
One story of many.
Post a Comment