Monday, February 18, 2008

My Nanny Diary, Part 1

So last month I took a job as a part time nanny.

I found the job on Craigslist. My job was to go to the family’s house, Monday through Friday, four hours a day in the afternoon, and watch a 1 year old girl and occasionally, her 6 week old sister. Yes that’s right, their mom had both of them in the same year. The mom was at the house almost all of the time but needed a nanny to watch her daughters while she did homework for her online community college classes. The mother’s mother, the little girls’ grandmother, paid me $150/week. I was able to bring Elliott anytime I needed to, which made it a lower stress job because I never had to get a sitter for him and half the time Brian was home and could watch him anyway. Last Monday, as I was getting ready to leave, the mom said, “Well I have some bad news, we’ve decided to put our daughter in daycare.” So that was it. No more job. I think it a little bit rude to let someone go so abruptly, but hey, I pretty much hated everything about the job, except for getting paid of course, so oh well.

Some feelings about my experience as a part time nanny for 3 weeks:
I did it for the money. I did not do it out of civic duty or sense of service--I didn’t know this family (and they didn’t know me. They met me for about an hour before this first time I came over. I could have been a psycho. They didn’t ask for any references and I’m pretty sure they didn’t know my last name.). This really made me think that I hope I never have to get a nanny for my son or future kids or put them in daycare because let’s face it, they’re your kids, no one will ever do as good a job of raising them as you will. No one will ever be as personally committed to your kids as you will. When it’s a job, it’s a job. Of course I was a good nanny, I did interact with her, play with her toys with her, rock and cuddle her, read to her. Still, while I’m sure there are positive childcare situations out there, and I’m sure there are necessary childcare situations, I’m just saying I don’t think it makes up for a good mother in the home. This was kind of eye opening to me because sometimes I feel I am the “want to have it all” type of woman who would love having a “real” job and I’ve seriously considered getting one recently....

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I had a similar epiphany when I worked at a daycare one summer in high school. I *liked* the kids (for the most part), but I sure didn't *love* them...
I have that "want it all" mentality, but I read this quote yesterday: "You *can* have it all, just not all at once." It kind of reminded me of that whole life-has-seasons things...

Harmony said...

Hi Madelyn. I've had the same feelings recently about wanting to have a job. Sometimes I really miss working, for the money and for being praised and appreciated by other adults. But I can't stand the thought of leaving my son with a babysitter. You're right that no one would care about my son as much as I do, and I really am the best person to care for him. It is sad that there are so many parents in this world who care so little about their parental responsibilities, as you described. I feel bad for those children.

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" ...and in the wings of my stage, there is music.